Monday, January 24, 2011

Voices

So, I am looking for some input here.

In my quest to understand thing from someone else's point of view I have started watching this play list on youtube. It is about a man that grew up a Christian and eventually became an atheist. He goes in depth with a lot of what he felt when he was a Christian and it helped me to understand things a little better.

As an example, he explained the feeling he got from church and feeling as though the Holy Spirit was in him as being a feeling that others get when something makes them extremely happy and makes tears well up in their eyes etc. At first this was a little lost on me but my husband explained it to me more in a way I understand, as apparently I am slightly emotionally stunted or something.

My husband explained that it was like the feeling I get when I watch the Christian the Lion Story on youtube. It is a feeling where my heart swells and feels as though it might burst. I get a little teary eyed and it makes me feel a connection to these people and this lion that I have never known.

Suddenly that all made sense. For this man (the gentleman on youtube), got that same feeling when he thought about God and felt like God was with him. I understood if people "felt" God in this way then it seemed completely reasonable that they would keep looking for that, it is a great feeling.

I kept watching through this playlist and got to a section last night when he was talking about how he felt when God was "talking to him." He was speaking as if this was a totally normal occurrence and there was nothing odd about it. As if this was something that every person, regardless of religion, experienced. This wasn't suppose to be just a feeling, or a thought, but an actual voice speaking to him.

I turned to my husband and said, "Am I the only one that *doesn't* hear voices?" He seemed to think I wasn't, as he doesn't either, but I was genuinely confused by this.

I then told my husband, "If I ever heard a voice in my head, I would be extremely frightened and probably check myself in somewhere that I could get good medication." I was (and still am) completely baffled by this. Now don't get me wrong, I hear my inner thoughts sometimes, like as I type I am forming this in my head and I can "hear" it, but I am never joined by any other voice other than my own thoughts, if that makes any sense.

Now, admittedly I haven't finish all 19 parts (and growing I think) parts of his playlist. I am 11 or 12 parts in, so maybe there is more coming up that will help me understand. I do however highly recommend what I have seen so far as it give an insight I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

This isn't meant to make light of other people that do hear voices (of God or otherwise). I am just trying to see if maybe someone has more information out there, or another way to explain it that doesn't make it seem so foreign to me, much in the way my husband helped me understand the feeling some people get from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment