Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sunshine

So, as many in the North do, I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disoder (SAD). This happens because of the lack of sunlight and vitamin D that happens in the northern hemisphere during winter.

In the summer I am fine. I like to sit on the porch and read books in the sunshine. It is warm and feels so good on my skin, completely relaxing.

In the winter I get depressed and go into hibernation. I deal with winter a few different ways. I try to go outside as much as I am able, even if it is just to shovel the driveway, again. It helps not only to get the fresh air, but it also helps in terms of exercise. Exercise is of course, one of the first recommended ways to deal with depression because there are only positive side effects (except for those with severe medical issues of course).

Before I got pregnant with my son I would go tanning once a week. It really helped me feel uplifted and happy, a little pick me up in the middle of winter. Now I am not a fan of skin cancer of course, but once a week in the grand scheme of things, isn't too horrible.

Another way I cope is to have this special calender on the fridge. It sounds trivial but it really gives me something to focus on that is positive. I print off my calender from this site.

Back in December the sun set here at 4:12pm. It was very difficult to handle. Now, in February we are back to a 5pm sunset time so it is light until about 5:30 or so.

This is the print off for the month of February where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment