Friday, December 2, 2011

Stolen Poem

I found this on Reddit and wanted to share it. It is very well done in my opinion.

Atheism Doesn't Andie L.(age 14)

Atheism doesn't bring me comfort, it doesn't bring me pain.

It doesn't promise what it can't, namely; life after the death of my brain.

It doesn't tell me what is right or wrong, or how to live my life,

It doesn't tell people they can't have love if it's not a certain type.

It doesn't threaten me with eternal pain, or tempt me with eternal bliss,

It doesn't take away all the things I would most miss.

It doesn't create me sick and then command that I be well,

And if I don't get better, it won't send me to hell.

It doesn't bear the message: Worship me or burn,

and it doesn't take away ten percent of what I earn.

It doesn't tell me I'm born in dept of a crime I didn't commit,

and it doesn't tell me I must pray, worship, sacrifice or submit.

It doesn't claim to suspend the laws, or do what can't be done,

It doesn't claim to just 'know' how life or the Universe begun.

It doesn't tell me I'm inferior to men, or gods or priests.

It doesn't toy with the feelings of those who were once loved by the deceased.

It doesn't indoctrinate the young with beliefs held by authorities,

and it doesn't have 'cover up rape and abuse' as one of it's priorities.

It doesn't discourage condoms, and thus promote disease,

It doesn't tell me to beg and grovel on my knees.

Atheism isn't often offended when someone tells a joke,

And if it ever is offended, war and violence it does not provoke.

It doesn't opress advancements in science, medicine and technology,

and it doesn't have a doctrine, let alone one similar to ancient mythology.

It doesn't justify smashing planes into buildings, or blowing someone up,

It doesn't see a world outside reality and if that bothers you, well, that's tough!

It doesn't commit horrific deeds and then demand respect,

There aren't a thousand versions and another thousand sects.

It doesn't have a fancy icon like the cresant moon, cross or star,

and it doesn't encourage me to wear costumes that are ridiculous and bizarre.

It doesn't close the shops and stores on certain days of the week,

and it doesn't pounce on people when their lives are hard and bleak.

Now, I've told you what atheism isn't and what it doesn't do,

and if you go and look it up, you'll see that what I've said is true.

Because, atheism means 'godless'- that and that alone,

it's a response to a claim; and I can only hope that one day this will be better known.

No comments:

Post a Comment